Most homeowners don't realize the affect of carbon monoxide. It is so important to have CO detectors in several locations throughout your home to keep you and your family safe. I will be posting 3 blogs in regards to this important topic. Please be sure to read all 3!
"What is carbon monoxide (CO) and how is it produced in the home?
CO is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels. Appliances fueled with gas, oil, kerosene, or wood may produce CO. If such appliances are not installed, maintained and used properly, CO may accumulate to dangerous levels.
What are the systems of CO poisoning and why are these symptoms particularly dangerous?
Breathing CO causes symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, and weakness in healthy people. CO also causes sleepiness, nausea, vomiting, confusion and disorientation. At very high levels, it causes loss of consciousness and death.
This is particularly dangerous because CO effects are not recognized. CO is odorless and some of the systems of CO poisoning are similar to the flu or other common illnesses.
Are some people more affected by exposure to CO than others?
CO exposures especially affect unborn babies, infants, and people with anemia or a history of hear disease. Breathing low levels of the chemical can cause fatigue and increase chest pain in people with chronic hear disease.
# of People treated each year = 5,000
Last stats on deaths (1989) = 220 from gas fired appliances, 30 from charcoal grills, 45 from liquid-fueled heaters. "
© 2013 Inspections by Jesse
With all of this said, it is very important to have CO detectors in your home if you have any type of these appliances. It is also very important to have these appliances (such as your gas furnaces) checked and tested by a licensed professional every year.
Please be sure to read our next two posts in regards to CO!
Northwest Comfort Systems